Newsletter • September 19, 2019
We are about ten days away from the September 30 start of the Bob Picken-Valour Road Masters Bonspiel at Thistle so it is time to provide some key information.
DRAW: First, and most important, we have 30 teams entered and the draw is being developed. The advantage of having exactly 30 teams is that, with five sheets of ice, every team will play only one game each day and that may be all we really want at our age.
- The draw will be based on a pool system with three games played within pools and the exact times of all games will be published in advance. We expect you will have your first game information by Monday, September 23.
- Sixteen teams out of the 30 will advance to playoffs – separated into four ‘events’ based on win-loss record and a tiebreaker system which will be announced in advance of your first game. A key point in the tiebreaker system is that we will be leaving games as ties (except playoffs). We will be playing a scheduled 8 end game with an hour and 40 minute bell.
- The 8 semi-final games will be played on Thursday and the four finals will be played on Friday.
SPONSORS: We were pleased to report earlier that 680 CJOB has joined us as the Championship Event sponsor. Bob’s remarkable broadcast career was tied very closely to CJOB so we are delighted ‘OB will be a part of our tribute to his memory.
- As a further acknowledgement of Bob’s CJOB career, and his much listened to reports at 25 minutes after the hour, draw times will be at 9:25am, noon, and 2:25pm.
- We are also pleased to report that the secondary events will be the Asham Curling Supplies, St. James Rehabilitation Physiotherapy Center, and Valour Road Past President events.
- While we will pay cash prizes, this is not a competitive-cash event. It is a start of season opportunity to play a few games – meet old friends – and pay tribute to the legendary Bob Picken. First prize in the spiel will be $320 (double entry fee back).
LEGACY FUND: Plans have been put in place to establish a Bob Picken Junior Legacy Fund from bonspiel proceeds. TWO junior program grants of $500 each will be awarded by December this year. In the future we hope to provide at least two similar grants. Curlers in the ‘spiel will have the opportunity to donate to the Legacy Fund and perhaps help us to make additional such grants in the future. CurlManitoba will be helping us to promote the Junior Legacy Fund to clubs and junior/school programs.
Do your stretches. Curling season is here!
Norm Magnusson ([email protected])
Brian Kushner ([email protected])
Bob Minaker ([email protected])
Resby Coutts ([email protected])